What is ISARA?
International Spatial Accuracy Research Association (ISARA) is a research group that focuses on how to measure, model and manage uncertainty in spatial natural resource or environmental information. ISARA consists of the two main parts: (a) the ISARA steering committee and (b) a wider group of spatial accuracy researchers and practitioners. ISARA biannually organizes a conference entitled "International Symposia on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences", also called "Spatial Accuracy" for short. The core topics discussed within ISARA are:
- Uncertainty in terrain modelling
- Uncertainty in vegetation mapping
- Navigation uncertainty
- Spatial data quality measures
- Uncertainty visualisation techniques
- Uncertainty in decision making
- Mathematical modelling of uncertainty in GIS
Relevant publications and journals:
- CONGALTON, R. and GREEN, K. 1998, Assessing the accuracy of remotely sensed data: principles and practices (Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton).
- DEVILLERS, R. and JEANSOULIN, R. 2006, Fundamentals of Spatial Data Quality (Geographical Information Systems series, ISTE Publishing Company).
- FOODY, G. M., and ATKINSON, P. M., (editors), 2002, Uncertainty in Remote Sensing and GIS (Chicester: Wiley).
- GOODCHILD, M. F., and GOPAL, S., (editors), 1989, Accuracy of Spatial Databases (London: Taylor & Francis).
- GOODCHILD, M. F., and JEANSOULIN, R., (editors), 1998, Data Quality in Geographic Information, from Error to Uncertainty (Paris: Hermes).
- GUPTILL, S. C., and MORRISON, J. L., (editors), 1995, Elements of Spatial Data Quality (Oxford: Elsevier).
- HEUVELINK, G. B. M., and BURROUGH, P. A., (editors), 2002, Developments in Statistical Approaches to Spatial Uncertainty and its Propagation. Themed issue International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 16, number 2.
- HEUVELINK, G. B. M., and LEMMENS, M. J. P. M., (editors), 2000, Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (Delft: Delft University Press).
- HEUVELINK, G. B. M., 1998, Error propagation in environmental modelling with GIS (Taylor & Francis, London).
- HUNSAKER, C., GOODCHILD, M. F., FRIEDL, M. A. and CASE, T. J., 2001, Spatial uncertainty in ecology : implications for remote sensing and GIS applications (Springer-Verlag, New York).
- HUNTER, G., and LOWELL, K., (editors), 2002, Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (Melbourne: RMIT University).
- LOWELL, K., and JATON, A., (editors), 1999, Spatial Accuracy Assessment. Land Information Uncertainty in Natural Resources (Chelsea, Michigan: Ann Arbor Press).
- MOWRER, H. T., and CONGALTON, R. G., (editors), 2000, Quantifying Spatial Uncertainty in Natural Resources: Theory and Applications for GIS and Remote Sensing (Chelsea, Michigan: Ann Arbor Press).
- SHI, W., FISHER, P.F., and GOODCHILD, M.F., (editors), 2002, Spatial Data Quality (London: Taylor & Francis).
- STEIN, A., SHI, J., BIJKER, W. (editors) 2008, Quality Aspects in Spatial Data Mining (CRC press).
- ZHANG, J. and GOODCHILD, M., 2002, Uncertainty in Geographical Information (Taylor & Francis, London; New York).